In an effort to increase productivity and employee retention, more companies are seeking to build cultures which are focused on health and safety. A report from Aon Hewitt, the National Business Group on Health, and the Futures Company indicates that employers with a stronger health-focused environment had a happier, healthier workforce.
Here are 7 essential tips to build a robust and thriving culture of health within your organization:
1. Encouragement, Sharing, and Recognition: Actively encourage employees to incorporate healthy activities into their workday. Support them in setting and sharing their health-related goals, efforts, and successes. Creating motivation and accountability can help employees achieve better results. Build a reward system that incentivizes employees to attain their goals and maintain healthy habits. Recognize, reward, and celebrate their accomplishments. For example, push notifications and reminders in the Continuwell mobile app are an easy way to send supporting messages.
2. Priority: Carefully consider all actions that improve employee health. Studies have shown that companies which actively engage in efforts to promote healthy lifestyles can realize significant impacts on employee productivity and performance while reducing healthcare related costs. Making health and wellness a priority in your organization can translate to healthier profits. See this article on helping reduce employee health expenses.
3. Leadership: Make company leaders health advocates and role models. Managers and executives should be supporters and active participants in company health benefits and practices.
4. Work Environment: Make it easy for employees to get and stay healthy. Build an on-site gym or provide subsidies for gym and fitness club memberships. Organize walking groups during breaks or sponsor after-hours activities and company sports teams. Provide stand-up desks, exercise balls, and desk cycle chairs to encourage movement throughout the day. Blogs and reminders for company group fitness events are a great way to encourage healthier lifestyles.
5. Business Decisions: Consider the effect on employee health when receiving input and making decisions. Adopt simple, wide-reaching practices such as zero tolerance drug and alcohol policies, and establish a non-smoking facility. Provide comprehensive and meaningful health-related perks and benefits. Also, make it easy for employees to access all the health benefits that the company provides. An easy approach is to consolidate all company resources in one single location that is mobile-accessible.
6. Healthy Cafeteria and Vending: Offer many healthy food and beverage choices at your facility and at company-sponsored events. Provide vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and organic options.
7. Preventive Medicine: In companies with stronger health cultures, employees were more likely to have had a physical exam within the last year. Utilizing preventive medicine benefits and participating in other wellness programs mitigates the loss of work and decreased productivity caused by illness. Remember to send reminders to employees about physical exams and company wellness events.
Healthier employees can improve performance, productivity, and overall workplace happiness. By fueling a culture of health, you can better position your brand and business to thrive. Contact us today to find out how Continuwell can enhance the quality of life for your employees and help you provide the benefits programs to enable culture you can be proud of.
What to Read Next: Boost Employee Productivity, Morale, and Loyalty